Saturday, May 22, 2010

Back from New London, Back to Africa

It's been awhile since I've felt like writing anything here. No particular reason, just haven't had much to say. But this week has been one involving the offspring, one coming home, the other leaving.

Nat has completed his Freshman year at college. I went to retrieve him on Tuesday, and we got back home on Wednesday. He was happy the year was over but looking forward to his return inn the fall. He seems to have found the right school at the right time for his interests. Thank you, Dr. Fred Kaplan! Nat has been inspired to follow in your lead. He will make life better for someone some day.

It seems like it was just a few weeks ago that Laurie and I were visiting him during parent's weekend...

It also seems like just a few weeks ago that we were picking Abby up at the airport after her 6 weeks in Ghana. Yesterday we put her on the plane to go back. She's returning to Hohoe to see her kids and Miss Suzy with donated kids books and crayons. I just talked to her about 2 hours ago when she called on her friend's cell phone to let me know she had arrived safely. To me, hearing her voice in real-time is still something that I have trouble comprehending even though I know the technology pretty well. There's something that's still miraculous about it.

She'll be there for 2 weeks this time, but somehow I think that that she will continue to return whenever she can. She is making life better for people right now, if the smiling faces of "her" kids are any indication.

I am so proud of my children. They have faced both good times and bad. They have driven us to the brink of madness and brought us infinite joy. And they are both thinking globally and figuring out ways that they can make a difference in the world they live in.

As their father, I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment