Monday, October 5, 2009

The Boys Are Back In Town...

Some of you may have noticed that my posts seem to have some sort of connection to music now and then. As with many of us, I'm sure, certain events become associated with certain songs. The song in today's Ramble was by a group named Thin Lizzie. I was never a big fan, but this song still gets a fair amount of airplay on the "classic rock" stations.

So why should I care about this song? Well, today I had my third colonoscopy. Seems I'm a veritable polyp factory, so, lucky me, I'm on the "view every 2" year plan. Lots of people seem to fear this procedure. Not me. I don't mind it a bit. It beats surgery any day. I think what most people fear is the prep for the procedure, which is no picnic but is on the whole pretty benign. Once you've gotten past the prep, the rest is easy-peasy.

The best part of the whole deal is that you are blissfully unaware of what they're doing to you. They gave me Propofol, aka "Milk of Amnesia". Yes, it's what killed Michael Jackson, but it hasn't killed me. Yet.

So here's where the music comes in. My doc loves classic rock. It's playing in the background as I'm wheeled into the exam room. Two years ago, as I was going under, the boom box happened to be playing Led Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused". The last thing I remember was the beginning of Jimmy Page's solo where he uses the cellist's bow to get those whoopy effects out of his Gibson. How appropriate.

Today, I related the story back to my doc, and he switches the box to a really good guitar song by a group who's name I didn't quite commit to memory before memory got erased. But for some reason, Thin Lizzie's song seemed to keep playing over and over in my head for what seemed like forever. But then *boing* ... I'm awake.

So now I have two songs to remind me when my next exam is due. As far as today went, I had a sessile polyp and several smaller ones excised, so they're still finding happy homes in my gut. I'll have to go back in another two years, but as long as the tunes are decent I won't mind. Wonder if my doc will take requests ...

No comments:

Post a Comment